This year we will be completing our annual screenings for Vision, Hearing, Scoliosis and Body Mass index.
The following will be screened:
Scoliosis: Grades 8 & 9
Vision & Hearing: Grade 10
Height, Weight & BMI: Grade 10
Massachusetts Schools have taken heights and weights of students each year since the 1950’s. According to the state’s BMI screening regulation, schools must now collect the heights and weights of students in grades 1, 4, 7, and 10. The results will NOT be mailed home or sent home with your child. The school nurse will supervise your child’s screening and will make sure the child’s privacy is respected at all times. If you would like your child to NOT have his or her BMI recorded please notify the school in writing.
The Hoosac Valley High School will be doing an annual Postural Screening this winter as well. The purpose of this is to find early signs of possible spinal problems in grades 8 & 9. If your child has any unusual findings, you will be notified and asked to take the child to a physician as a precaution. Females will be examined by a female nurse, males will be examined by a male nurse.
If you would like to opt out of any of these screenings please write a note stating your requests.
Thanks for your time.
Traci Gelinas, RN, BSN
Welcome Back students from your Nurse Traci
A few reminders for this upcoming school year to make the health office easier:
- Please fill out the Emergency health card and be sure your child returns it to me. Without this card I cannot give your child any over the counter medications. I do not except text message confirmation for medication approval.
- All medications to be given at school must have a doctor’s order. This is daily medications and as needed. Please bring in the order with the medication or have you pediatrician fax the order to the nurse’s office.
- All medications must be in the original container from the pharmacy with a label.
- All medications are to be brought to the nurse’s office & signed in. I will count prescribed medications.
- Physicals are required for students in Grade 10. Immunizations may be needed or updated. Please have these physicals faxed to the nurse.
- Sports physicals are required yearly.
Please feel free to call me with any question or concerns. I look forward to working with you to make your child’s school experience happy and healthy.
Traci Gelinas, RN
Hoosac Valley High School